August 12, 2021
How to Take Care of Your Jewelry
Diamonds are forever, but only if you take care of them! More than beautiful, your jewelry can be your most valuable possession. For most, they are considered as family heirlooms, treasures that are passed down from generation to generation. Understanding how you can properly care for your jewelry can help maintain their beauty and value for many years to come. Here are some tips:
- Wear your jewelry with utmost care. As a general rule, put on your jewelry last when dressing, but take it off first when undressing. This prevents the pieces from being caught on clothes or accidentally being scratched. On the other hand, earrings and necklaces should be removed when having your hair done, and rings and bangles removed when having your nails done. It’s ideal to take off jewelry before sleeping and when doing manual work, including household chores.
- Storage matters! If you haven’t done so, make sure that your jewelry pieces are stored separately, especially those with more vulnerable materials such as pearl and opal. This will prevent them from scratching each other or becoming tangled together.
- Another tip when storing your jewelry is to make sure that your pieces are kept away from direct sunlight, heat and moisture. Extreme temperatures and sudden temperature changes can cause oxidation that discolors or tarnishes jewelry pieces. Cracking may also occur. You can prevent this by keeping your jewelry in their original boxes or packaging when not in use. Wrapping jewelry in tissue before they are placed in their boxes, or simply storing your pieces in airtight bags also help protect them from dust and moisture.
- Keep jewelry away from water, which also causes darkening and discoloration. Cosmetics, soap, lotion, perfumes and even natural oil from the skin can also cause pieces to lose their sheen and shine. This can be avoided by patting pieces dry using tissue or allowing jewelry to dry for an hour before placing them back in storage.
- Go to a professional! The best way to maintain the beauty and shine of your jewelry is to have your pieces regularly cleaned and checked by a professional jeweler. These professionals can also help repair broken parts and pieces of jewelry, if necessary.